Saturday, July 30, 2011

As it is happening.....real life Organ Donor situation as it unfolds

I have been screaming to the top of my lungs forever (it seems) abut the need for Organ Donor Education and policy changes in this country....

This example has fallen into my lap quite suddenly and I have my sisters consent to blog about it....thank you Dawn.....I hope it will serve to educate at least one person.....

My sister Dawn is married to Geoff who has a sister named Karen. Karen lives in Maryland......Karen suddenly without any warning whatsoever collapsed the other day .......they took her to the hosptial where it was determined she had a cerebral hemmorage and her famiy was told she had 48 hrs to live......she was immediately placed on life support. (was this possibly what happened to John Ritter...I cant remember)

I have been speaking to Dawn about how Geoff is going, how his family is handling this sad event and I asked Dan "Was karen an Organ Donor" and her response was this" I want to know the same thing but I am afraid to ask"

Turns out the family is quite undertandably upset and dealing with  HUGE loss in their lives. Karen was ony in her early 50's.

A few hours later Dawn called to say she asked the question and was told yes that Karen was a donor and that she has been left on life support as her body is being evaluated for donation.

Now remember not everyone is a candidate for donation....and not all deaths allow for major organ donation.....sudden head trauma/ brain death is one of the deaths that generally work.

The reason I am writing this is to generate the discussion of awareness....have you told your family your wishes? Time of accident or death especially sudden death is NOT the time to discuss this for the very first time....people are way too confused, upset and in grief......

If families are made aware of your wishes and UNOS comes in to ask the question everyone will be well prpared and although thieir grief is still the same, the answer is clear....

Now everything is still being done to evaluate Karen since a small amount of brain activity was just  discovered.......I will keep you posted on  her sad situation.....but a huge thank you to this wonderful person for speaking to her family in advance and letting them know she is an organ donor.....

1 comment: